Patient and Family Centred Care
Read the 2017 RVH Patient & Family Advisory Council Annual Report
Renfrew Victoria Hospital is committed to providing patient- and family-centred care. To that end, the RVH Patient & Family Advisory Council (PFAC) was formed in 2015 and convened its first meeting on January 5, 2016.
The PFAC engages patients, family members and caregivers and provides opportunites to voice their unique experiences, perspectives and concerns. This collaboration supports our mission “to provide the best possible health care experience for our patients and their families.” We will use their input to improve the care we deliver.
Steve Lyons, RVH PFAC patient representative, spoke about the work and goals of our Patient and Family Advisory Committee at a Best Practice Spotlight Organization (BPSO) professional development day for staff.
Grand Rounds for May 26, 2016: A voice for patients and family
Patient and Family Advisory Council (PFAC)
RVH is embarking on a journey to put a focus on Patient and Family Centered Care. As part of this journey, we will be implementing a Patient and Family Advisory Council in late Fall 2015.
What is Patient and Family Centered Care?
Patient and Family Centered Care focuses on the “whole person” as a unique individual, not just on their illness or disease. In viewing the individual through this lens, health care providers come to know and understand the person’s life story, experiences of health, the role of the family in the person’s life and the role they may play in supporting the person to achieve health.
As experts in Patient and Family experiences, patients are in the position to provide recommendations on improving the planning, delivery and evaluation of care services within the framework of Patient and Family Centered Care. The RVH Patient and Family Advisory Council is dedicated to enhancing care providers’ understanding of the needs of patients and family members who use their services with the goal of helping provide an exemplary patient experience.
Advisory Council members will be consulted and involved in matters where the input of patients and their families is valued. The range of matters will include, but is not limited to, the following topics:
- Provide the perspective of patients and their patients and their supporters on the planning, delivery and evaluation so care at RVH
- Contribute to the understanding and improvement of the Patient and family experience
- Assist in reviewing and providing feedback on patient satisfaction
- Promote improved partnerships between patients, families, staff and physicians
- Provide input on policy and program development which impact service delivery for patients and families
- Provide recommendations on the identification of health care needs and gaps
- Participate in education regarding Patient and Family Centered Care
- Provide an opportunity for care providers to recommend changes that improve Patient and Family
We are currently recruiting members for this committee. If you have any questions or feedback, please call 613-432-4851 ext.225.